Journey into Japanese Craftsmanship: A Day at the Tanbayaki Pottery Light Truck Market Spring 2023

-


Today, I want to share my recent journey exploring the scene of ceramics in Japan. During the beautiful spring season, I traveled to Osaka, Japan. In the days leading up to my departure, I roughly planned the places I wanted to visit. Alongside selecting a few museums, furthermore I want to look into the art of pottery-making. I think of my friend who shares the pottery studio with me, as she had previously mentioned unique ceramic art known as 'Tanbayaki.' One of Japan's six ancient kilns in Japan. With some online research, I was fortunate to discover that they organize an annual spring pottery event during Japan's Golden Week holiday, which falls between April and May. Yay! That fits my schedule. So, In this blog post, I will share my delightful experiences and insights from this memorable journey.

Transportation:
On Saturday, April 29th, at 10:00 am, I enjoyed a delightful breakfast at the hotel before my adventure. I boarded the Tokaido-Sanyo Line from Osaka Station to Aino Station. Then I took a bus that led me to the Museum of Ceramic Art, Hyogo, where the event starts. The entire journey lasted approximately 1.5 hours and incurred a cost of around US$27. Please beware that bus schedules are pretty different between weekdays and weekends. Fortunately, buses were available every half an hour when I was heading to the event location. However, it's essential to know that fewer buses operated when I departed around 2:00 pm. I highly recommend checking the train and bus timetables for your planned visit to avoid any inconvenience. Additionally, exploring alternative routes would be advantageous to ensure a smooth trip."

Light Truck Market:
Upon arrival, clear signs guided us to the event venue. Following the bustling crowd, we walked for a few minutes and arrived at a street lined with more than twenty light trucks. Excitement filled me as I approached each truck, admiring the unique ceramic artwork displayed. Each piece was labeled with a price, and their arrangements showcased individuality. Some artists provided business cards for future inquiries. Without hesitation, I made immediate cash purchases whenever I found something I liked. Ceramic artworks are truly one-of-a-kind, and I've learned from past experiences not to hesitate and miss out on collecting pieces I love while traveling.

Annual Ceramic Event:
In 2019, I had the opportunity to attend another annual ceramics event in Seto, Nagoya. I participated in the pottery festival organized by a local studio during my stay. It was an enriching experience to contribute and be a part of it. These rural areas often host annual ceramic events during Japan's extended vacation periods, typically in May and October, lasting from three days to a week. The 17th Annual Tanbayaki Spring Event coincided with Japan's golden week holiday, infusing vibrant energy into the otherwise tranquil countryside. You can find their event schedule leaflet on their website or social media platforms to plan your visit. I attended there on the first day featuring the Light Truck Market, where 23 kilns proudly showcased their beautiful pieces. As the event progressed, the subsequent days brought a delightful farm market offering local agricultural products, ceramics, and handmade crafts in a park. Several notable and unique activities were available, such as guided tours of their old historic kilns—a rare opportunity for visitors. Local ceramic artisans graciously opened their studios, providing demonstrations of pottery-making techniques. Besides, there were small workshops where tourists could experience the joy of creating pottery themselves. Attending this annual ceramics event was a rewarding opportunity for pottery enthusiasts to engage with talented artisans and immerse themselves in the region's artistic heritage.

Lunch and Environment:
The light truck market this spring showcased more than ten food trucks and stalls, offering a diverse range of culinary delights. Visitors could savor Japanese homemade curry beef rice, ramen, locally sourced sweet potatoes, and freshly made potato fries. The market also featured artisanal coffee and the renowned local specialty, black bean mochi. For a delightful lunch experience, we found a spot alongside the stone path where we could relish our meals surrounded by spring's vibrant beauty. I enjoyed the quiet village environment with its cozy neighborhood, and I like the tropical weather with different tree views, farms, and mountains around. 

Hot Spring:
There were nearby hot spring resorts for tourists wanting to stay in that area longer and participate in the week of pottery event. Visitors could explore the ancient pottery village and ceramic museum, and in the evening, they could unwind and enjoy their vacation by staying at a hot spring hotel. It's a leisure activity for locals to enjoy on road trips during long holidays. 

Here are a few tips for your trip:

1. Internet Data Card: A Must-Have
It's essential to have an internet data card during your trip. You can easily purchase one at the airport or even at 7-Eleven, where they offer prepaid data SIM cards for locations in Japan and worldwide. This will enable you to stay connected throughout your journey, access Google Maps for train schedules and routes, look up information, make restaurant reservations, and even facilitate easy translation.

2. Japan's Golden Week Holiday
If you are traveling to Japan during Golden Week, be prepared for bustling cities and crowded tourist spots. During this extended holiday period, many Japanese people travel domestically. It's advisable to book your Shinkansen (bullet train) tickets or domestic flights in advance to ensure a smooth trip. Additionally, it's worth noting that hotel room prices tend to increase around 10% to 20% during this time.

3. Language
Most train stations and trains in major cities across Japan have English signage, and train compartments often feature English announcements and electronic display boards. Additionally, restaurants in tourist areas frequently offer menus in multiple languages. It can be beneficial to carry a pocket notebook with written notes or simple drawings to help overcome any potential difficulties. By the way, I discovered that the people there are incredibly friendly and helpful.

4. Cash
While Japan is technologically advanced and electronic payments are widely accepted, carrying some cash is still advisable, especially when visiting smaller local shops or rural areas. Places like Tsukiji Fish Market and smaller establishments often require cash payments. Please note that tipping is not customary in Japan and may even be seen as offensive. Besides, price bargaining is not commonly practiced in Japan.

5. Travel Light
I like a small carry-on suitcase and a backpack for my trip. Japanese train stations often have long flights of stairs, and maneuvering with large luggage can be inconvenient in crowded areas. Certain Shinkansen trains may charge extra fees for oversize baggage beyond the regular ticket price.

Check out my video from the lively Light Truck Market! Below, you'll find websites related to the annual Tanbayaki pottery event and around, offering a glimpse of the local atmosphere. For more details and historical information, simply search 'Tanbayaki' online. Enjoy!

WM










Comments